National

News to Know: 8 stories to help you pass a current events quiz (Nov. 10-17)

Clare Ramirez | Staff Writer

A memorial in Paris commemorates the 132 people who lost their lives in the Friday terrorist attacks on the city.

1. Paris attacked, world responds

Coordinated gun-and-suicide bombing attacks across Paris left at least 129 people dead and 352 injured on Friday. In response, France and Belgium have been undergoing an international manhunt for a remaining suspect, France has declared war and pounded Islamic State territory with airstrikes and the United States has attacked hundreds of Islamic State oil trucks.

More: France’s response | America’s response | Recent updates

2. Police search for 8th, 9th suspects in Paris attacks

Police were already searching for Salah Abdeslam the eighth suspects in the Paris attacks, but announced Tuesday they are after a ninth suspect as well. They discovered a car and apartment that Abdeslam rented before the attacks.

More: Suspect search

3. Bomb threat cancels Germany, Netherlands soccer game

The Germany and Netherlands friendly soccer match Tuesday was canceled amid fears of a bombing. Authorities in Hanover, Germany evacuated the stadium prior to the beginning of the match after receiving a credible tip of a terrorist attack.

More: Germany-Netherlands soccer

4. NYC mobster found not guilty in Lufthansa robbery charges

New York City mobster Vincent Asaro, who was charged with racketeering and extortion in connection with the 1978 Lufthansa robbery that became a large plot point in the movie “Goodfellas,” was found not guilty Thursday on all charges after spending nearly a year in jail awaiting trial.

More: Vincent Asaro

5. U.S. kills ‘Jihadi John’

American. military officials are “fairly certain” the U.S. killed “Jihadi John,” the Islamic State militant who was often filmed beheading hostages, with two Hellfire missiles Thursday. Officials say they killed Mohammed Emwazi, known as “Jihadi John,” and another person with a Reaper drone attack.

More: ‘Jihadi John’

6. Supreme Court to review Texas abortion law

The Supreme Court will review a Texas abortion law in its first major abortion case since 2007, it announced Friday. Opponents say the law subjects abortion clinics to higher standards than elsewhere in the medical industry and could close 75 percent of the state’s clinics.

More: Texas abortion law

7. U.S. kills ISIL leader

The leader of the Islamic State affiliate in Libya is believed to be dead from a United States airstrike on Friday, the Pentagon said. Wisam al Zubaidi, also known as Abu Nabil al-Anbari, commanded the Islamic State’s strongest branch outside of Iraq and Syria.

More: ISIL leader

8. Bomb took down Russian charter plane

Russian officials officially revealed Tuesday that a bomb aboard a Russian charter jet that crashed in Egypt was bombed, then increased airstrikes on ISIL targets in Syria. The Islamic State took responsibility for the crash last week.

More: Russian plane bombing