Block Party 2016

5 things to know about The Chainsmokers

Photo courtesy of University Union

Andrew Taggart and Alex Pall both have strong New York ties and last preformed at Syracuse University in 2013 at Mayfest.

The Chainsmokers are coming back to Syracuse.

Composed of Alex Pall and Drew Taggart, The Chainsmokers will bring their alt-rock remixes to the Carrier Dome on April 29 at 7:30 p.m., University Union announced Sunday.

But before the duo takes the Dome, here are five things you need to know:

1. Taggart is a Syracuse alumnus

At SU, Taggart studied music business, according to an article in the Portland Press Herald. He got an internship at Interscope Records, where he did more than make coffee runs: Interscope had Taggart produce electronic music for other artists to use. SU is also where Taggart’s career got its start. In 2011, he released his first EP under the name DJ D’Anconia.

2. They want to be like Kanye 

There hit song has more than 15 million views on YouTube. They said “Kanye West is really an inspiration,” in a Facebook post before the song was released.

3. They’re making the festival rounds

Just a few weeks ago, The Chainsmokers took off across the country. They started out playing the Ultra Music Festival in Miami from March 18-20. Next, they’ll take on the Number Fest in Athens, Ohio in April. The Chainsmokers will also meet up with artists like Panic! At the Disco and Elle Golding at the Hangout Music Fest in May. And to round it all off, they’re headed to one of the biggest festivals around. They’ll make their Coachella debut this year, playing both weekends of the festival.

4. They’re inspired by Taylor Swift

Well, at least on their track “Roses,” where they borrowed pop electronic styles from Taylor Swift’s “1989.” “I wanted to make something that sounded like a cool indie track, but had a pop, mainstream-type beat,” Taggert said in an interview with USA Today. The rest of the time, The Chainsmokers are listening to a variety of artists like Kendrick Lamar and friend and fellow DJ Steve Aoki.

5. Their music is free

That’s one thing they don’t take from Taylor Swift. The Chainsmokers’ tunes are available to stream on Spotify and for purchase on iTunes. But for the thrifty listener who’d rather avoid the ads, it’s free for streaming on SoundCloud.