Family Weekend Guide 2018

No family on family weekend? Here’s some self-care alternatives

UPDATED: Oct. 26, 2018 at 1:05 p.m.

Each year in October, Syracuse University hosts its annual Family Weekend. The three-day event is filled with bonding activities, family dinners and some much needed downtime for students. But if your parents can’t make it to the Hill this weekend, here are a few places to practice some self-care or work out in the wake of midterm season.

Self-care

For the last two weeks, students have been slammed with midterms. So instead of sulking in your bedroom, go out and indulge in some self-care while your friends are out with their families.

O Yoga Syracuse

Where: 225 Wilkinson St.

Just 10 minutes away from campus by car, O Yoga Syracuse is a local studio that offers a range of classes including integrative flow, hot power vinyasa and alignment flow. The studio also offers workshops that target all levels and retreats, per their Facebook page. Student deals are available with a 15 percent discount for a regular drop-in class and through their new student special, which offers two weeks of yoga classes for $25.

SpaZend

Where: 719 E. Genesee St.

If you’ve got some extra spending money, indulge in some self-care and stop by one of Syracuse’s relaxing spas. Sharing a hallway with Strong Hearts’ Genesee location, SpaZend is a short walk from campus and offers a range of services. Their pedicures and manicures come with a massage, but you can target those kinks from your back with one of their deep tissue massages. A 50-minute session comes in at $90, not including tip.

For students getting over midterms, SpaZend employee Demond Jones recommends their stress reduction package. Jones said the two-hour treatment includes a stone massage and is meant to target the deep tissue.

Syracuse Yoga

Where: 6181 Thompson Road

Located in East Syracuse about a 12-minute drive from SU’s campus, Syracuse Yoga offers classes geared toward standard flows. With classes starting at 9 a.m. on the weekends, the studio offers sessions such as “Strength and Soul,” “Functional Movement” and “Rise and Flow.” For SU students, the first class is free with the promotional code “college.”

The studio’s owner, Sophie Tashkovski, recommends different classes depending on how students handled their midterms. If your midterms left you sleep deprived more than anything else, she said, the “Restore and Renew” class will help you calm your mind and reconnect with your body.

The Hamill House

Where: 49 Oswego St., Baldwinsville

This spa is less than 30 minutes driving from campus, so students with access to a car can make a day trip of it and stop by Baldwinsville on the way back. The Hamill House offers two different kinds of massages: the Swedish Massage and the Deep Tissue Massage. If you’re not a regular massage-getter, the Swedish Massage may be the best option for you since it targets the entire body, according to its website. Get into the Halloween spirit and add on their signature pumpkin foot scrub to your session.

Workout

If your workout regime got off track with midterms, take your extra free time and try a fun way to get back into gear.

iLoveKickboxing

Where: 5781 Bridge St.

Located on the other side of Onondaga Lake, iLoveKickboxing is one of the Syracuse area’s only gyms dedicated to kickboxing. The fitness outlet offers a range of classes and forms of kickboxing including “Muay Thai Kickboxing” and “San Shou Kickboxing.” Each class incorporates “intense, adrenaline-pumping” techniques inspired by martial arts.

If you’re hitting the gym by yourself this weekend, head up to their location for a morning class — the only option for Saturdays and Sundays — and stop by Onondaga Lake on the way back for lunch.

Orangetheory Fitness

Where: 3150 Erie Boulevard East

Orangetheory Fitness locations have been popping up all over the U.S., with its Syracuse location not far from campus. Each workout session is 60 minutes and includes high intensity interval training, giving you more bang for your buck. The first class is free.

Their “H**l Week” event kicked off on Oct. 24, and will continue through Halloween. Attend a session this weekend and you’ll participate in either “Superhero Saturday” or “Sports Team Sunday.”

Pure Barre

Where: 6819 E. Genesee St

Just a 14minute drive from campus, this Pure Barre location offers the standard range of low-impact, toning workout sessions. The sessions include “Pure Barre Classic,” “Pure Reform,” and “Pure Empower,” and they start as early as 7:15 a.m. on the weekends. Since sessions are first come, first serve and there are only four sessions on each weekend day, be sure to sign up online in advance.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, the class Sophie Tashkovski recommends for sleep-deprived students was misstated. Tashkovski recommends the “Restore and Renew” classThe Daily Orange regrets this error.