University Union to host advanced screening of ‘Happy Death Day 2U’

University Union will host an advanced screening of the new mystery film, “Happy Death Day 2U” on Feb. 4 at HBC Gifford Auditorium. Doors open at 7:30 p.m with the film starting at 8 p.m, UU announced Monday night.

The sequel to “Happy Death Day” follows Theresa “Tree” Gelbman and Carter Davis — portrayed by Jessica Rothe and Israel Broussard, respectively. Tree is once again stuck in a time loop where she relives the same day until someone murders her.

This time, Tree’s friends are victimized as well and she’s the one to save them all from the masked assailant. To do so, Tree is forced to perfect the routine of dying and living again.

Rothe has also appeared in films including “La La Land” and “Forever My Girl.” Broussard’s previous work includes roles in “The Bling Ring” and “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before.”

The film is set to be released on Feb. 13, with a PG-13 rating and 100-minute run, per Box Office MojoWhile Rotten Tomatoes has yet to review the sequel, the original has a 71 percent ranking as of Jan. 28.  

The film’s director, Christopher Landon, is known for his work on the “Paranormal Activity” franchise as well as the film “Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse.” Jason Blum, the film’s producer, is best known for producing the thriller film “Split,” along with the “Purge” franchise.   

Entrance is free for the campus community and the general public. Open captions will be provided.