Louisville offense runs past Orange ‘like a track team’ in 56-34 victory

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

Hassan Hall contributed 71 of the Cardinals 370 rushing yards on the day.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The lasting scene from the game that cemented Syracuse’s losing season will be a flash of red jersey darting among a crowd of swiveling white helmets. Like a Pac-Man weaving between the ghosts, Louisville’s runners bounced side to side before bursting loose out of the crowd unscathed.  

They faked one way only to send the ball the other. They teased a run to setup another run only to throw a pass. Their setups were confusing, but the result wasn’t. The Cardinals (7-4, 5-3 Atlantic Coast) were faster and ran wild for 608 yards of total offense in a 56-34 win over Syracuse (4-7, 1-6) on Saturday night at Cardinal Stadium. 

You got to keep ’em bottled up because our guys can’t run with those guys,” Syracuse head coach Dino Babers said. “A lot of schools can’t run with those guys, it’s like a track team out there.”

All but 74 of the Cardinals yards came from players no taller than 6-foot-1 inch or heavier than 190 pounds. The players that Babers likened to cheetahs exploded for big plays right when the Orange created offense of their own. Operating primarily out of the pistol and constantly using different versions of option plays, Louisville danced around the Syracuse defense in space repeatedly. 

“We started opening it up for the pass” said Louisville running back Javian Hakwins, who ran for 233 yards and one touchdown. “That opened it up right up front and then the holes started opening up everything. It started flowing…and then everything started clicking.” 

Syracuse, which fired its defensive coordinator after allowing 496 rushing yards to Boston College on the first weekend of November, didn’t enter the game a defensive stalwart. Ranking 104th in yards allowed, Syracuse played like the defense that struggled through parts of its first nine games, not that the one that held a depleted Duke offense to six points. 

Louisville ran the triple option and Syracuse plunged the inside. The plan was to load the inside with two defenders on the dive, Williams said, and someone on the outside would be responsible for quarterback run. But the help outside was constantly caught inside. Cardinals’ outside receivers mauled Syracuse cornerbacks, and linebackers couldn’t flow to the outside fast enough. 

“Snapping the ball you barely see (the short ball carriers) over the O-line as the plays developing,” Williams said. “So it’s just kind of like you’re just following your key and then either he’s going to be there or he’s not.”

Louisville gets into the end zone.

Max Freund | Staff Photographer

The quarterback run resulted in a 30-yard touchdown in the first quarter and a logistical nightmare when it turned into a run-pass option. Louisville quarterback Micale Cunningham pulled the ball from the dive near the goal line in the first quarter. As he rolled to his right, Syracuse defenders matched him, allowing a receiver slipping out to gain just enough of a step to lead the way into the end zone for a touchdown. 

Louisville’s offensive success was reminiscent of Lamar Jackson’s carving of Syracuse’s defense a few seasons ago, but Babers said the scheme isn’t the same. He likened it more to a wishbone offense just out of a pistol shotgun set. The motion sent players mixed signals on who they were responsible for and a stretch run game gave running backs multiple options for holes to hit. 

The Cardinals frequented a “12” personnel look with two tight ends and running back, something Boston College also ran successfully against the Orange. While some other ACC teams, like Syracuse at times, prefer to operate with no tight end in a “10” personnel, the Cardinals wanted to use its tight ends to seal the edge. 

It’s a harder offense to defend because the matchups aren’t as simple, Syracuse safety Andre Cisco said. Rather than simply squaring up with players on the outside, Louisville forces teams to play with more players in closer to the line. 

“You really have to have your eyes right and be able to come downhill and read the run,” Cisco said. “It seems like there is a lot going on when they are in 12 personnel.” 

Earlier this week, Babers listed his estimated 40-yard dash times for Louisville’s offensive weapons. They all fell in the 4.20-4.40 range.

On Saturday, he listed off the luxury cars with comparable speed to the players who’d just thrashed his defense. Corvettes. Porches. You can identify a fast car, but you can’t always stop it. 

“That’s what it’s like trying to tackle those guys out there” Babers said. “You get one shot and then phew they’re gone.”