Opponent preview: What to know about Cornell

Syracuse has a 96% of beating Cornell in the Carrier Dome on Wednesday, per advanced statistics website KenPom.com.

Following two lopsided wins over non-conference opponents, Syracuse (2-1, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) welcomes Cornell (1-3) to the Carrier Dome on Wednesday night. The game will mark the third matchup between Jim Boeheim and his son, Big Red junior forward Jimmy Boeheim. Syracuse has beaten Cornell in both matchups the last two seasons.

Here’s what to know about this year’s installment of the Battle of the Boeheims:

Gambling Odds: As of Tuesday evening, Syracuse is 19.5-point favorite, with a total of 130, according to Pinnacle.

All-time series: Syracuse leads 93-31

The Cornell report: Cornell’s lone win this season came against Binghamton and the Big Red haven’t had much success elsewhere since that season-opening victory. Their adjusted offense currently ranks 242nd and adjusted defense ranks 306th, per KenPom.

Three Big Red players are currently averaging double-digits led by Jimmy with 15.3 points per game and guard Terrance McBride with 14.5 points per game. The Big Red have been more effective from inside the three-point arc (42nd in the nation on two-point shots) than 3-pointers (253rd nationally).

The biggest threat to Syracuse down low will be Josh Warren. The senior 6-foot-8 forward posted a double-double against NJIT and scored 19 points, dished seven assists and snagged six rebounds against Binghamton.

How Syracuse beats Cornell: Syracuse beats Cornell by hitting its shots. Cornell hasn’t played well to start the season, particularly in defending 3-pointers. The Big Red are ranked 270th in opponent 3-point field goal percentage. Syracuse hasn’t ranked well in the statistic offensively, only hitting 30% of 3-pointers, but Boeheim has said repeatedly that Syracuse will shoot more 3s this year.

If the shots from beyond the arc fall on Wednesday, the Orange will make quick work of the Big Red. Cornell isn’t the kind of team that can keep pace with Syracuse’s scoring. The Big Red won’t shoot well against the zone, which forces outside shots. So, as long as the Orange doesn’t repeat their Virginia performance, they will be more than fine.

Stat to know: 81.5% — Syracuse’s opponents have a combined 81.5% free-throw percentage. Only eight teams in the country have had opponents shoot better against them from the charity stripe.

KenPom odds: Syracuse has been given a 96% chance to win. The projected final score is a 74-55 SU win.

Player to watch: Jimmy Boeheim, forward, No. 3

Of course, it will all start with Jimmy — a junior forward who leads the Big Red with a 15.3 points per game average. In his first two games against Syracuse, Jimmy has scored a combined 20 points and grabbed 11 rebounds. Last season, he shot 46% from the field and 35% on 3-pointers for a Cornell team that lost in the first round of the CollegeInsider.com tournament.