Field Hockey

Syracuse climbs to No. 6 in NFHCA poll

Isabella Flores | Asst. Photo Editor

The Orange earned victories over Cornell and UConn in their past two games to maintain a perfect record.

Syracuse field hockey (5-0, 0-0, Atlantic Coast Conference) continued its ascent up the rankings as it reached No. 6 in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Poll. Two home wins in the last two games were enough for the Orange to rise in the poll as they build toward conference play.

On Wednesday, Syracuse was down early against Cornell but ultimately prevailed 4-2 behind a second-half comeback. A 3-0 victory over UConn on Sunday ensured that SU remained perfect on the season.

In gaining one spot, Syracuse is now the third-highest-ranked team in the ACC, trailing just No. 2 North Carolina and No. 4 Louisville. Among the top 20, Syracuse is one of only four teams still undefeated, standing alongside No. 1 Iowa (6-0), Louisville (6-0) and No. 10 Rutgers (6-0).

The new national ranking of six sets the stage nicely for ACC play, which begins this Friday with a top 10 matchup against No. 9 Duke. The Blue Devils already have two wins over opponents in the top 10, including a 2-1 upset at Maryland. They should prove to be a stern test when Syracuse travels to Durham, North Carolina.

In addition to the road game against Duke on Friday, Syracuse hosts Wagner at home this Sunday to round out the week.