Student Association

SA unanimously passes resolution supporting student protesters despite opposition from attendees

Joe Zhao | Asst. Photo Editor

Several students attended Monday's Student Association meeting to share their thoughts on SA's proposed "Resolution in Solidarity." The bill was unanimously passed, with one abstention, after approximately 25 minutes of debate.

Syracuse University’s Student Association passed a “Resolution in Solidarity” for student protesters and the protection of their First Amendment rights on campus during its final meeting of the semester. The vote was unanimous, with one abstention.

The bill, titled “Resolution in Solidarity with Syracuse University Encampment and Condemnation of Antisemitism,” was authored by a group of 14 students. The document puts into writing SA’s support for all peaceful protests on campus while also condemning acts of hate.

At approximately 10:40 a.m. Monday, around a dozen SU and SUNY ESF community members established a “Gaza Solidarity Encampment,” calling for university divestment from Israel amid the ongoing Israel-Hamas war, on the lawn of the Shaw Quadrangle. The number of demonstrators involved in the encampment quickly grew throughout the day.

“We started (the resolution) in preparation for a potential encampment here,” said Tim Wong, SA’s newly-appointed speaker pro tempore. “We’ve been making revisions since the encampment started this morning.”

On April 17, students at Columbia University began their “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” on the university’s campus in New York City. In response to legal action taken against protestors at Columbia, college students across the country have held their own encampments.

During Monday’s meeting, multiple Jewish students, members of the encampment and others contributed their opinions on the resolution in the assembly’s open forum, voicing opposing perspectives on the bill.

Several students said the demonstration on the Shaw Quad has sparked fear and nervousness among Jewish students on campus. They also said they are concerned about the association supporting the protesters.

“This (resolution) creates mental intimidation and harassment on our campus and makes it acceptable,” one Jewish student said during the open forum. “We stand here as Jews saying that we feel these acts and this resolution are antisemitic.”

The speakers representing the demonstrators expressed their support for the bill, citing the importance of free speech and the value of peaceful protest on college campuses.

Debate ensued for approximately 25 minutes before the assembly voted unanimously — with one abstention — to pass the resolution.

Section Four of the resolution reads as follows: “The Student Association fully condemns and denounces hate of any kind, including anti-semitism, anti-arab, and anti-muslim speech and/or actions on our campus in our greater community to ensure a safe space for all students.” The statement also condemns violence of any kind.

One contributing author of the resolution, SA Student Advocate Lucio Maffei, said the purpose of this bill was to protect students’ First Amendment right to peacefully protest and to comment on the university’s response to the encampment.

“Once we start silencing how people feel, how people are in ways that are not harmful to other students, that is the time that democracy dies,” Maffei said. “To the assembly members that are going to vote on this bill, I encourage you to think about what this university stands for and what you believe students have the right to do.”

After the conclusion of the final meeting of SA’s 67th session, the association held a second meeting to swear in its new electees.

The association’s new executives — SA President German Nolivos, Vice President Reed Granger and Comptroller Alexis Leach — were sworn into office, and new committee chairs were selected.

Wong, who previously served as diversity and inclusion chair, was appointed to the role of speaker pro tempore during the meeting. Incumbent Speaker Kennedy Williams was also elected as speaker for her second consecutive term.

Throughout Nolivos, Granger and Leach’s “Listen, Learn, Lead” campaign, all three executives expressed their commitment to collecting student input and increasing engagement with the association. While Monday’s meeting featured contentious debate, Nolivos was grateful for the dialogue provided by contributing speakers.

“That’s our final goal,” Nolivos said. “We want people to know that they can come to this room and express their opinions … the doors are always open.”

Other business:

• The 67th session voted unanimously to approve the revisions to its fiscal codes proposed by outgoing SA Comptroller Dylan France and the Finance Board.
  • During their final executive report, outgoing SA President William Treloar encouraged the next assembly to continue the “fight for equity” on campus, specifically in cutting costs for students amongst high tuition costs. Treloar emphasized the need to increase accessibility to late-night dining on campus, something his administration also worked toward.